Welcome to my Universe!

Monday, January 4, 2010

Master Cleanse thoughts, and cashew cheese recipe.

So I made it 8 days on the Master Cleanse. The night of the 8th day the lemon concoction gave me severe heartburn. We had guests for the weekend, and they cooked a yummy-smelling dinner here, and I got throught that ok, but I had a rough time with heartburn that night. I got up early Sunday (the 9th day) with every intention of continuing on. I had some out-of-town visiting and driving to do (ended up driving 500 miles), so I did the salt water flush and mixed my lemonade for the whole day to take with me. The first glass went down fine. The second glass was making me nauseated. By three in the afternoon, I was trying to get the third glass down and it was making me wretch! I stopped at Whole Foods to get my friend (the one I was visiting, who is undergoing chemo) some flowers and a fresh fruit tray, and I had some of the fresh fruit. I was 200 miles from home, hungry, and nauseated, and I decided then that I was going to end the Cleanse. Everything went fine and when I got home late last night I ate a light raw dinner. I know the book recommends fresh OJ for the first day, but I didn't exactly have a juicer in the car with me, and the fruit sat just fine in my system.

I feel good about ending the Cleanse a little early, and I plan on doing it or another detox in the near future. Right now, the thought of lemon, maple syrup, and cayenne makes me ill, but maybe I'll get over it. However, I have a new juicer on the way, and may very well do a juice fast when we get home from the unschooler's gathering in Ohio next month. I may do a green smoothie detox too...there are so many other less-extreme ways to take care of my body. I'm glad I did the Master Cleanse, though, and I'm proud of myself for sticking with it for 8 1/2 days. It was the first time in my life that I have ever done anything like that. I remember once, about 10 years ago, I tried to do the "cabbage soup" diet to lose some weight. I couldn't make it through ONE day without getting sick of the soup and falling off the diet. Although I had committed myself to doing at least 10 days on the Master Cleanse, my body was screaming "enough already!", and I don't feel guilty at all for ending it early.

So far today I've had a green smoothie, and I'm planning on making a raw chili tonight, from Penni Shelton's blog Raw Food Tulsa. I also just made some raw cashew cheese to use on a raw pizza tomorrow night. I found the recipe online, and have posted it below.

Cashew Cheese

- 190 grams (1 1/2 cups) plain cashew nuts (not roasted or salted)
- 60 to 80 ml (1/4 to 1/3 cup) water
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice or good vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- freshly ground pepper

Makes about 1 1/2 cups.

Place the nuts in a salad bowl, cover with fresh water, and let stand for 2 hours.

Drain the nuts and place them in the bowl of a food processor or blender. Add 60 ml (1/4 cup) water and the rest of the ingredients, and mix until thoroughly puréed, stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl every once in a while. Add a little more water and blend again to adjust the consistency, if necessary; the cheese will get a little more solid as it sets.

Transfer to a bowl, cover, and let stand somewhere cool for 24 hours before placing in the fridge, where it will keep for another 5 days.

Adapted from Real Food Daily.

No comments: