Welcome to my Universe!

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Raw Aspirations.

I’m on the second of a stretch of three night shifts. I’m an RN in labor and delivery at a small community hospital. In the past 15 years of being a nurse, my weight has slowly crept up to nearly 200 pounds, and I feel that night shift has not helped matters any. Sometimes the nights are very slow in a small hospital, and nurses tend to gossip and eat when they’re bored. I have dieted on and off my whole life, but for the past three or four years I have been on a different path…less “dieting”, more balance, better nutrition, and spiritual development. For the past two years I have been an on-again-off-again vegetarian, then vegan, then back to carnivore, then back to vegetarian, and so on….but almost a year ago I met Bethany Hagensen and her mom, Jody, at an unschooling conference, and attended their workshop on Raw Foods. I immediately started incorporating more raw foods into my diet when I got home from that trip, and quickly became a fan of green smoothies. I would go mostly raw for a few days at a time sometimes, but I always fell back into the Standard American Diet (SAD) and my food addictions. It’s been a struggle, however I have continued with the green smoothies nearly every day, and I think it has made a difference in how I’ve felt. I am now ready to take it to the next level and go raw. With my history of “slipping”, I know better than to try and make such a huge, permanent change right here at the holidays, so I plan to start with the Master Cleanse on January 2nd (because I have three days off starting that day). My goal is to do it for 10 days, then go on a high raw diet after that, permanently. I won’t even delude myself into thinking I can sustain a 100% raw diet long-term, but I am aiming for >75%.

I’ve been strictly vegetarian for the past three days (almost vegan, but I put a little shredded cheese on my salad tonight). I would say I’ve been 50% raw during that time too, having a quart of green smoothie and a large salad every day, with only a small amount of cooked food. Today I had a baked sweet potato, and one piece of Ezekiel bread (sprouted grain bread). At work tonight however, I found some pita chips in my locker and some hummus I had left in the fridge, and I have been knoshing on them for the past hour. I am beginning to suspect that wheat may be a problem area for me. These chips are like crack, I can’t get enough! I have known for a long time that I am addicted to carbs, but now I think the wheat thing may be more of a problem than the sugar thing.

I have about 24 oz. of green smoothie in the fridge that I brought with me, so hopefully that will hold me through the night. I think I’ll try tomorrow with no wheat and see how I feel.

No comments: