Welcome to my Universe!

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Spring fever, and raised beds.

The kids and I went to the library yesterday, and I got three books to feed my latest obsession. Night and day, I am thinking about getting my hands dirty and planting a beautiful, abundant vegetable garden. I picked up a book on gardening in 20 minutes a day, one on companion planting, and for the first time ever, my library actually had the specific book I went in there looking for! Square Foot Gardening, by Mel Bartholomew. I've already devoured that one, and am 1/4 of the way through the companion planting book.

Not only have I been reading about gardening...last night I went to Lowes and bought MORE seeds, and three 2x10x16 feet long pieces of lumber. I had them cut into four 8 foot and four 4 foot lengths. Today the corners that I ordered from Gardener's Supply Company arrived in the mail, and I was finally able to take the first step toward building my raised beds. My husband and two youngest boys pitched in, and within a half an hour we had two 4x8 raised beds (unfilled) in the yard.





I put flattened cardboard boxes underneath them, then covered that with newspaper.

This will help kill the grass and weeds, and by the time my plants' roots grow that deep, the cardboard and newspaper will have begun to deteriorate. Eventually it will be compost.









Tomorrow I will be out hunting for the ingredient's for "Mel's Mix" (the soil that will fill my beds), which is 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 vermiculite, and 1/3 blended compost. According to "Square Foot Gardening", this is the perfect soil mix, and I won't ever have to cultivate my soil again! I tell you, this book definitely lives up to the hype, if for no other reason than it has gotten me more excited about gardening than I've ever been before!

2 comments:

Melody Polakow said...

How exciting!! I can't wait to see all of your fabulous veggies!

gustoso said...

Way to go. Good luck.