Welcome to my Universe!

Friday, March 20, 2009

So, what does your garden grow?

When we moved into this house a year ago, there was absolutely nothing but weeds growing in the flower bed beside the house. I dug it up and planted some flowers and herbs. It looked pretty decent until the weeds took over again...right now it doesn't look much different than it did before I touched it. However, for the first time EVER, I finally got some rosemary to survive through the winter. It thrived last summer and grew to at least 10x its original size. Surprising, my thyme and oregano also survived. I also have some peppermint in the herb garden, which is not even in the same place as I put it last year. I'm hoping it will do what mint does, and take over that spot before the weeds do.


I also have an abundant crop of dandelion growing all over the yard. I know, I know, dandelions are weeds, right? Well, actually, the scientific name for dandelion is Taraxacum Officinale, which means "the official remedy for disorders".



Dandelion greens are full of vitamins, and when picked young in the spring, they are delicious. I have been using a few dandelion leaves each day in my green smoothies. I also hear that you can make wine from dandelion flowers. Hmmmm...sounds like a fun project for later in the season.

I've been gardening with earthboxes for the past few years, but they just don't fit my needs any longer. They are sitting in the back yard by the fence, out of the way, still full of last year's soil. I decided to take the covers off a few of them and stick in some spinach seeds to see what happened. A couple of days later, mysterious holes were dug into the surface of the soil. I do believe that squirrels find spinach seeds tasty.




Ok, back to the square foot garden.

Even though the NEW Square Foot Gardening book suggest wide wooden strips, or even vinyl slats from old blinds, as the dividers for the grid, I decided to keep it simple. I used jute twine and upholstery tacks to keep them in place. I like the rustic look of the jute, and I don't mind having to replace it next year. It took me 30 mins max to put all the twine in place for the grids.

I also found a lightweight metal trellis on clearance at Wal-Mart for $19, so I installed it on the north end of one of the beds for peas to climb on. I used jute as a guy wire to give it a little more stability.






Up next...planting in the square foot garden!

1 comment:

Melody Polakow said...

You are my role model in so many ways!

Have I ever told you how much I love that pic of the tree? It is breathtaking!

ryn... Jack Bauer is the name I gave my sourdough starter (sent to me by another blogger). it is based on the character from the super cheesy 24 TV show..