Welcome to my Universe!

Monday, February 23, 2009

Manifesting blue feathers.

Or…the Blue Feather Experiment.

After some research, I think the original idea came from Richard Bach’s book “Illusions”.

My good friend Betty was explaining the law of attraction to our other friend and resident skeptic, Brandon.

She told him that he could manifest the things he wanted in his life, and when he expressed his doubt, she told him to start with something small. Something like a blue feather. She told him to take a few moments to imagine this feather, to feel what it was like to have it, to hold it in his hand. She told him to know that it was on its way, as if he had ordered it from a catalog and paid for it.

This conversation took place in my café while I wasn’t there, but my other good friend Alice was. Alice decided to try her own blue feather experiment.

That afternoon, she went home and visualized the feather, and how jubilant she would feel when she found it.

Some time in the next day or two, she took a trip with her family to the mall in Rocky Mount, and on the way there, she told her kids about the blue feather experiment. Alice has four great children, and they are unschoolers. The kids were extremely interested in what Alice had to say about the law of attraction. That same evening, in the food court at the mall, Alice returned to her table to find her children’s eyes shining, as her eldest held out his hand to her. In the palm of his hand was a tiny blue feather.

Alice wrote about this experience in her Myspace blog the next day, and right after reading it, I decided to try my own Blue Feather Experiment.

I sat cross-legged on my bed that afternoon. I remember it well, it was one of those rare warm days in late January, and the sun was filtering through my bamboo blinds onto my bed. I sat in the semi-dark with the narrow sun rays hitting me on the back. I closed my eyes and imagined my blue feather. I imagined how inspired I would feel when I found it. While I was sitting there, Seth walked in. He saw me with my legs crossed Indian-style and my eyes closed, and he asked, “Mom, are you meditating?”

I patted the bed beside me, inviting to come have a seat, and I told him about the Blue Feather experiment. Like Alice’s kids, he was intrigued, and he sat there with me for a few minutes visualizing the blue feather. He crossed his legs and closed his eyes, too. We sat there quietly for a few minutes, then he jumped up, done with meditating and ready to go play Rock Band.

Over the next few days I forgot about the blue feather. I had two very rough weeks. I was stressed out, and as a result was having chest pains and other physical symptoms. They we left for our trip to the Unschoolers Winter Waterpark Gathering in Ohio. A couple of days into the conference, I began to relax and feel better, as I have already written. Once during the week, I thought of the blue feather, and wondered why I hadn’t seen it yet.

On the last night of the conference, there was a Medieval Ball. I sat in the ball room with our friends from Long Island…watching the happy children (and adults) dancing and being carefree. The DJ was playing Pink Floyd’s “Another Brick in the Wall.” I was just enjoying the moment, surrounded by love and free spirited people, when I heard Seth exclaim “Mom!”

I turn to see him holding a blue feather. He had found it lying on the floor, right beside me.

I can’t tell you how ecstatic that made me feel!

In the meantime, unknown to me, Betty received this email from Brandon:

“I HAVE TO TELL YOU, I FOUND MY BLUE FEATHER, WELL KINDA. CHECK THIS OUT. I PONDERED OVER THE FEATHER A FEW TIMES, MAYBE 30 SECONDS OR SO EACH TIME. JUST IMAGINING IT, WHAT IT LOOKED LIKE, SEEING IT IN MY HAND, THIS AND THAT. THIS WAS 5 OR 6 DAYS AGO.
I’VE THOUGHT ABOUT IT OFF AND ON, BUT NOTHING MORE.
SO TODAY, MY SON IS WATCHING A CARTOON IN THE DEN. AS I WALK THROUGH, I LOOK AT THE SCREEN AND A BLUE FEATHER IS FLOATING DOWN FROM THE SKY. THE CARTOON CHARACTER PICKS IT UP AND SAYS, “HMMM. A BLUE FEATHER. I THINK I’LL KEEP YOU.” I KINDA CHUCKLED TO MYSELF AND KEPT WALKING.
SO I DIDN’T ACTUALLY GET IT IN MY HAND, AS I IMAGINED, BUT I HOLD A LITTLE MORE STOCK IN THE LAW OF ATTRACTION NOW.
THANKS KIDDO!!
BRANDON”

Just a few days ago, Betty, herself, found her blue feather. It was lying on the sidewalk in front of her building when she arrived to work one windy morning. It couldn’t have been there for more than a few minutes, since the wind was blowing like crazy that day.

Betty blogged about the blue feather here.

Alice blogged about hers here.

The three of us are already talking about getting matching blue feather tattoos.

1 comment:

StillMa said...

The best part is ... we all know that manifesting blue feathers is only the beginning, and it is so nice to have each other with whom to share the excitement.