Welcome to my Universe!

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Five days in.

Gah, I am SO tired. We’ve been getting up at 5 am all week.

Tired, but happy. People love us! No complaints, lots of compliments on the food and coffee. And our place is already getting “regulars” who come by every morning for coffee, and sit and chat with us and each other. I’ve got some art on the wall from a local teenager who is an aspiring painter, AND my own black and white photos of a local historic cemetary have gotten a couple of “Are these for sale?”s. The guy who runs the local theater group asked me today if he could have month poetry readings at the shop. (Of course he can!) We are passing the break-even point in sales every day, and I only foresee it getting better. The locals are super supportive, and I’ve heard “I’m SO glad you’re open!” so many times I stopped counting.

My good friend, Sam, came on our opening day. I hadn’t seen her since Halloween. She found me next door at a wine tasting. Heh. I was tired AND tipsy. I was so glad to see her, I just wanted to squeeze her.

You know how sometimes you find yourself in a situation, in a moment, where you stop and ask “how the hell did I get here?”

Today, I was in MY coffee shop, pulling a double shot of espresso for a local attorney (he comes in twice a day for the same)…Ani Difranco was playing in the background. My friend and employee (who is also an unschooling mom) was there with me, and the three of us were laughing about something.

All of a sudden, the last twenty years flashed before me, and I thought, “This is really freakin’ cool.”

No comments: