Welcome to my Universe!

Monday, May 7, 2007

Nature's fury.

An impromptu vacation to the Outer Banks has turned interesting. Right now, I’m in a beach house that is literally shaking in the wind, with surf rushing underneath it. We have had 40 mph sustained winds, with gusts up to 60 mph, for an entire 24 hours now. The waves are at 12-15 feet. The beach in front of the house has eroded away, and now I can look out my bedroom window, which faces the house next door, and watch the waves washing away the dune between that house and mine. The ocean is now about 15 feet from where my Jeep is parked, but I’m hoping that what is left of the dune will last the night and protect it. This is quite exciting, but also scary because my kids are in the house too. As it stands, I’m the only one still awake. It is supposed to get worse before it gets better and I can’t sleep.

(Later….)

It’s been going on for 36 hours straight. The winds are supposed to die down some later tonight, but it may not happen before we have one more high tide to deal with. This has been the suckiest beach vacation in history. At first it was exciting, but now it’s getting old.

This is what I’m talking about.

No comments: